Thursday, August 27, 2015

Good times at Firefly Ranch


Things are going well with all the critters. Arwen and Saffron continue to be more friendly and approachable. They all come to the fence to see if I have treats when I see them. Gwyn, of course, vocally greets me, either with a whinny or a hungry whicker and nicker. She will cross the pasture to see if I have anything, and seems content when all I've got to offer is a nose rub.


We've added to the orchard that's just north of the house. I purchased a pear tree and got that planted last week. So now we've got pears and several varieties of apples!  I also uprooted a dying Japanese maple from the garden in the center of the driveway circle. I put in a sugar maple there! My hope is to one day make my own maple sugar. I do have a silver maple in one of the pastures that I can tap next season, but the sugar maple we will have to wait and let grow big and strong!




We've added two solar powered floodlights to the arena and tonight I hopped on bareback to see how well the space is lit. Tonight was either full moon or pretty darn close so things were lit nicely anyway. The football field across the street was also in full swing for a game and of course the floodlight from the barn helped. I'm going to test again on a cloudy or new moon night. We may purchase a few more lights for optimum night riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment