Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Farrier Day!

The farrier who had previously been working on Arwen and Saffron came out today to trim all 3 critters. He did Gwyn first, she was the easiest. It had been 8 weeks since he last trimmed Gwyn and aside from what little I do with a rasp, she was long, but not terrible! Her feet are probably in the best shape since I've had her. The wetness of living in Washington did not do her hooves any favors. I could probably be more aggressive in my trimming in between farrier appointments and she'd still be fine.

Next up was Arwen, who was starting to have some curve to her hoof. You can see where the new hoof started growing from when I got her. Her nutrition has improved and the farrier commented that he was so glad to see how nice they looked. That made me feel good. Arwen was spicy with her feet, but she did settle and everything was trimmed.

Saffron was much more reserved. She knew the drill more than Arwen did.She did get spicy toward the end, but all said and done no one was hurt and their feet looked much better! I released them into the pasture again with a pat each and paid the farrier. I really like him, he's a nice guy and does a good job. We're booked for October 1st again in the evening since I have lights in the barn and can guarantee my presence in the evening (I'm still working out school for Kaylee)



No comments:

Post a Comment