Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Trailer Reorganization

One thing I really want to do to prep for show season this year is get my trailer organized and using the space efficiently for storage of necessary items. I take a lot with me, especially camping, and being able to store most of it in the tack room rather than the bed of my truck in totes would be very handy, especially since I put the tent up in the bed of the truck and thus have to unload everything first. This gets hampered when there is inclement weather. 

The current state of the dressing room in my trailer. AKA A Mess

Note the saddle pads and wool cooler thrown in haphazardly, the single saddle rack (I have the second in the barn), not nearly enough hooks, a whip holder installed by the previous owners, lots of buckets, my cross country vest and a huge water container for rides where there isn't water available (like when I trail ride)

There's the water container and bonus spare tire.

Oh! And my tent, which I want to rewaterproof, but just threw in after camping in October.  I'm so on top of things

NEED MOAR HOOKS.  There is also a handy dandy mirror on the left there as well as a packing list for a not my kind of horse show, haha. 

In trying to get the door open I basically removed weather stripping. It had frozen to the door. So that's another thing that needs to be fixed, probably on a day when it isn't freezing so that the adhesive will work better.
I made this spiffy paint drawing for my husband when I was talking to him about what I wanted to do. See the amazing 3D rendering!?

THE PLAN

But seriously, the water tank creates a lot of dead space all above it. I think I'm going to need to pinterest for more ideas (because alas, pinterest can be useful for aggregating ideas for stuff like this) but someone suggested using wire shelving instead of peg board as it may be lighter.

Something like this:

The Floor plan, not to scale, but pretty darn proportionate if I do say so myself

Anyway, peg board or metal racks? Definitely build the shelves? I'd like to have a place to keep saddle pads, coolers and a first aid kit and that seems like a good way to do it. I do have a hanging saddle pad holder that could be attached to the shelves.

And how the heck do you attach things to the inside of the trailer? Do I need to learn to weld? Can I just screw stuff in? I am so lost here.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, the best system I have found is by The Organized Barn. I had to save up to buy what I needed, but it was money well spent!! https://cloverledgefarm.blogspot.com/2017/06/whats-in-your-tack-room-trailer-edition.html

    ReplyDelete