Monday, June 26, 2017

Happy Gotcha Day Saffron!

Facebook politely reminded me that 2 years ago today I brought Saffron and Arwen home to Firefly.  Arwen has since gone to a new home where she is doing amazingly (I'm friends on facebook and see pictures!)

Saffron has blossomed with our little family. Without the maternal need to protect a baby that she was never properly weaned from, she bonded nicely with Gwyn and has begun to trust humans a bit more every day.

There are still holes in her handling that will come with time but looking back on where we started, where we had to push her onto the trailer and she was plainly terrified, where I didn't dare take off her halter in case I needed to catch her. Now she'll stand still and let me curry her and use a shedding blade. I can put medicine on her fly bites on her legs.  She's absolutely petrified of fly spray, but I use the fly spot stuff with her and drip it on her back and she's okay.  You can pet her all over. She has never once tried to bite me or the kids. We're still working on leading but she walks with me more than she resists and I've learned she's not above being bribed with treats to move.

She's a good donkey. I've grown attached to this sassy long ears.









No comments:

Post a Comment