Saturday, July 25, 2015

Updates on the Ranch!

We have hay for winter!

Huzzah! My Washington friends are going to choke on this, but I paid $4/bale, which includes delivery. 201 bales are stacked in my barn now and I'm pretty sure I'll be good through the winter.

I'm loving this house and property. Gwyn was grazing nearby while Kaylee played on the swing set. I'm pretty sure Gwyn was keeping an eye on  us. She still seems surprised when she sees me at the house and I call to her. I get enthusiastically greeted and it's everything I hoped it would be.

I spent more time working on Arwen's matted fur and got cow kicked like crazy. I know she's a baby and it will just take time, but man was that frustrating and discouraging. They are getting more approachable in the pasture in general, which is encouraging. Hopefully by next year I'll be able to look back and see our progress. 

Gwyn is getting tubby from not enough work and 24/7 turnout. So we're going to be working more and on turn out less. Everyone is confined to the dry lot tonight and will be every evening for now.

Momma Saffron is doing well. I was able to brush her last night and I put Fly-Spot on both of them. They're extremely reactive to fly spray so I used the drip stuff that you put in a line down their back. It lasts longer and isn't scary. 

Kaylee and I found a toad in the barn tonight! It looks like the toad's left arm got mangled. It's all Dumbledore cursed and dry/dessicated. Otherwise the toad was healthy. We pet it for a while then released back in the 'stream' (which is no longer flowing since it's been a while since we've had rain)

Hard to see so I'll get a better picture tomorrow with my waterproof camera... but we have 4 Koi and a Plecostomus now for the water tank. I also snagged a floating cork bark so they'll have predator protection. No names yet, but since Kaylee's been watching a ton of Octonauts I'm leaning toward that for a name source.

Peso the Pleco
Barnacles, Shellington, Quasi and Tweak for the Koi

The bugs are already gone, so no more mosquito breeding! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment